Usernames (and sometimes password) vary, depending on the system being used.
Applying to BU:
The BU Admission Applications website requires you to enter a personal email address and create a password. If you are unable to login there, I suggest you click the "forgot my password" option and it will email you the password to be used. The password you setup here will not be used with any other BU systems.
Claim your ID:
The first step is to claim your BU Username ID to login. Visit https://claimid.brandonu.ca/Students
**When entering your birthdate, if you do not see a calendar icon or the specific date format, please ensure to enter your birthdate in the following format: mm/dd/yyyy (ex Jan 23, 1971 should be typed in as 01/23/1971)
The first time you do this process it will show you your BU Username ID, and it will ask you to create a password for your account. This password will be
The majority of University systems will be using your BU Username ID; they may fail if you try to use your BU email address as your name when logging in. Use your Username ID and password for the following BU systems:
- BU Online Registration System
- BU Student Information System
- Campus Student Lab Computers
- BU_Wireless device onboarding
- etc (when in doubt, use only your BU username ID as a first test)
Some BU systems will require you to enter your full email address as your login username (ie 'BUUsernameIDfirstname.lastname@example.org), along with your BU account password. A partial list is as follows:
https://webmail.brandonu.ca - BU Student Email location
https://portal.brandonu.ca - Account Password Change portal and setup account for emergency password recovery
https://portal.brandonu.ca/quarantine/- BU Email Quarantine System
Inter-Library-Loan requires a different password you obtain from their office.
If you sign up for an account such as Ebscohost. They will ask you to create the usernames and password to register.
Please contact ILL@brandonu.ca for further questions about inter-library loans
Changing your password:
To change your password visit https://www.brandonu.ca/helpdesk/help-with-passwords/
Enter just your typical BU username and not the full email address.
If you can't change your password or don't remember your old password and can't log in then you'll need to contact the IT Helpdesk online or via email at email@example.com to get your password reset.
Common login errors:
- invalid credentials - either you are using the wrong format of username, or the username or password are just incorrect.
- not authorized or access denied - either your username is incorrect, or you haven't been given access to that program.
- blank page - your Internet Browser's cache may need to be cleared. Or try a different browser.
- bad request - your Internet Browser's cache may need to be cleared. Or try a different browser
- "an attack was detected, originating from your system" - Contact the IT Helpdesk to have this issue resolved.